Autumn leaves
Drift by my window
Autumn leaves
Of red and gold
I see your lips
The summer kisses
The sunburned hand
I used to hold
As fall is by far my favorite season, so is Autumn Leaves my favorite jazz standard. It’s a heart-wrenching song of lost love, but in the fall it doesn’t make me sad; it just makes me reminisce. Summer is over. The heat, shorts, flip flops, sweet veggies. Gone. Happily, I now don long sleeves, long pants, boots, a light jacket. And smile. Walking through the falling leaves, hearing their crunch underfoot. Seeing the golden fields of grass, the green of summer fading into brilliant colors, then drab. I am in love.
People often talk about loving spring, finally a break from the snow and cold. But me, I only think of spring as wet, yucky, unpredictable. As Van Morrison says, “when I hear that robin sing, well I know it must be coming on spring, oo-we, we’re starting a new life”. I feel restless, ready for something new. In the fall, however, I revel in where I am today. Everything is more charming, smells better, tastes better.
Halloween is my all-time favorite holiday. It brings out my inner kid (always just under the surface anyway). Getting dressed up in costume is always a kick for me. It’s my one (or three) day a year that I get to be someone else and no one questions my sanity.
I find I even crave certain albums. I search my stacks of cds, finding Neil Young’s Harvest Moon, Rufus Wainwright’s Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, Oingo Boingo, Combustible Edison.
So, welcome back autumn! So happy to see you!
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
how my heart feels the joy you write with. celebrating fall with you. celebrating the harvest, the peace it brings and the free-spirited dance of halloween.
missing you during our favorite season.
Post a Comment