Monday, August 6, 2007

Day 3 (Part 2)

So, not only was the river cleansing, but I also felt that it was refreshing, I was feeling grimy, tired, and my spirit had been dampened. Because of the time, J was anxious to get moving (still 8 miles to camp) so we would be there in time for dinner. My enthusiasm lasted until we reached Highway 83, where we would ride on the "shoulder" for about 6 miles. I could see a rider in the distance in front of us and I longed to see them turn off, signaling the end of our ride. Not only were the cars zipping by us at 70+ mph speeds, but a scorching headwind was almost preventing us from moving forward. Are the elements against us? As J knows, I die in a headwind. I think it's all in my noggin, but nonetheless, my energy is sapped and I drag. This is the longest, most torturous portion of the day. I keep thinking: "pie".

We were informed last night that there's a cafe that has delightful pie in Condon. They usually close at 3, but were persuaded to stay open until 6, just for us. This is just the motivation I need. We ride on. Then, my body really starts to lose it. Each rotation is a struggle. I try to distract myself, but we're going so slowly that it's almost impossible to keep looking at the trees, the fields, the mountains that creep by, unending. Finally, a mile from camp, J asks if I'd like to stop. Oh thank god, that means he does too. There's a little pull-out on the side and we coast to a stop, each with a look of torture filling our eyes. I reach into my pack for the most disgusting, melted, twisted mess of a power bar. I rip it open and shove a huge bite into my mouth. Heaven. It's the best thing I think I've ever eaten. I offer some to J. He looks at it with a grimace on his face for a minute, then tears a hunk off. He agrees that this nasty, yogurt and honey bar is like the nectar of the gods. We sip our water and gather our strength to continue.

We see the bright Penske catering truck in the distance and focus all of our attention on it for that last push. And here's where everything is a blur. I recall putting our bikes down, getting our helmets and gloves off. Someone says something about pie across the street, but you better hurry because they stop serving at 6 and it's 5:30 already. J mumbles something about needing a beer. Beer? I think I'd fall into a coma if I have a beer now. Nope, it's pie for me. I stumble over and this I remember: the pies. It's a beautiful glass cabinet filled with 12 different types of pie. Apple, berry, blueberry, cherry, the list goes on and on. I settle with 2 pieces- a blueberry and a 5 berry. One of the waitresses asks me if I want one piece to go. To go? No, I want to eat them both here. But you're too small to eat 2 pieces of pie in one sitting. Oh yea? Watch me. Bring on the challenge. This is the sweetest reward I could have, besides someone booking me a hotel room complete with AC, a real mattress, an endless hot shower with a dry bathmat, and someone to feed me. Well, I'll take what I can get. Brutal day.

When I get back to camp J tells me that dinner is ready in 5 mintues. Yum. I'm ready. Somewhere in here our tent gets pitched (did I help with that?). We make it to dinner and I can't recall what was on the menu, but I do remember going back for seconds. I remember drinking a lot of strawberry lemonade. I remember seeing strawberry shortcake for dessert, but not having any room for it. Maybe later. We are informed that we have a 20 minute break before the bear expert gives us a lecture on grizzly bears. J, as he's faster, gets to take a shower. I continue to sit in my wet chamois shorts reeking of BO and covered with salt. I'm so gross.

The bear dude: Greg Smith, ex Glacier park ranger. I really can't remember any details, but here's everything in a nutshell:
It is not easy to be a grizzly bear.
He said this about 50 times during his talk, so I actually retained that little tidbit. If today hadn't been grueling, and it was based on the faces all around me in the room, we would have been more enthusiastic about his talk. But, as it was, we all felt like we were going to die. The room (we had a dinner hall for a change) was stuffy and hot. People were actually falling asleep at their table. As fascinating as he was, he went 35 minutes over the promised 30 minute speech. For this, I cannot forgive him.

When he finished, we all bolted out into the cooler (but not really) evening air. It was well after nine and I was still wet and gross. That swim wasn't seeming like a good idea now. But, I practically ran to the cabin for the women's shower and did a little dance for being the first one there. Hot shower for me! Ok, it's because everyone else was in camp hours before us and had already seen the inside of the shower, but hey, I needed something to celebrate. Eddy was in the same situation, but luckily he used the men's shower so he didn't have to wait for me.

I may have written in my journal, I may have read a little, but I retained nothing, I was pooped. And that night it rained, cooling off the air. I slept like a baby.

1 comment:

bgirl said...

wow....incredible day.
so impressed. soooo impressed.

and pie to boot. nice.