A few months ago, friends started to ask if I was going to create a blog. I thought about it. A lot. At first, I thought that blogging was only a place where people come to complain. Sort of like the private dialogue in your head, but public. There's no face-to-face confrontation, just that empty void in which to vent all of your frustrations in life, from the most simple- getting the wrong coffee from your favorite coffee stand to the larger ones: discontent at work, the government, a bad relationship, etc.
However, I have read some really great blogs of late, very positive, very insightful. They have restored my faith in the human spirit. So, last, but not least, I'm coming into my own. Entering the digital age to post my experiences and thoughts to friends and family.
My first life adventure to share is an actual adventure. I should have started recording months ago and for this I apologize, but I will try to summarize while retaining most of it's flavor. Teaser: the end result is that we are going on a bike trip on Saturday that will test my strength, both physical and mental. Here's the summary.
Biking:
This is a totally new thing for me. Like any typical American girl I had a bike. I remember it's banana seat and it's bright orange flag on it's pole (yes, I had a safety-first mother) that waved back and forth with every stroke of the pedal. When I outgrew this bike, it was not replaced. Not in high school, not during college. When I moved to Missoula someone gave me a bright pink bike which I rode some, mainly downtown from my house and have recently passed on to a new rider. Then I bought a used cruiser and was satisfied. This cruiser has a mega-padded seat with springs, 4 gears, a huge basket on the front, cruiser brakes. What more could I possibly need? Nothing.
Until J, my husband, got a job at Adventure Cycling Association last year. He asked me if I wanted a bike. I said yes, I wanted a road bike. Me, who loves things that are repetitive and boring: sewing, painting, etc. I can zone out and think about all of the world's problems and solutions. This is my sport. No, J says, you don't want a road bike. Trust me. You can only ride on the road and they are pretty fragile. Lots of upkeep. What you want is a mountain bike. We live in prime mountain bike territory. You will have much more fun on a mountain bike. Well, I do trust J, so I got a mountain bike. Full suspension. Cannondale. Lefty front fork. All these terms I didn't understand, but had faith that I would not have problems figuring out. My bike arrives, J drools over it. It's the coolest bike ever. I'm so lucky to have one. Do I love it? I pause for a minute, two, love it? No. It's a bike. It was built to get me places. We'll have to see if that love grows. Here's what it looks like.
So, the bike "adventures" begin. J is enthusiastic. I am nervous.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay yay yay! this is an exciting adventure, both your online dialog (soon to be a community)and the cycling. I am MORE than inspired by you and your spirit of adventure. you always brave the unknown. can't wait to go along (virtually) with you.
did i already mention yay yay yay!
Post a Comment