Monday, July 30, 2007

Day 1

Today begins in Missoula, at home. We finish packing- did we overpack? (yes), underpack? forget anything? Oh well, too bad. The dogs are in the kennel, the house is closed up, we are on our way! We are both excited and scared, but there's no turning back now. Missoula is very smoky from fires- perhaps our trip will be cut short due to fire danger...No, I don't really wish that to happen. Happy thoughts! We cruise up 93, around the lake and arrive in Whitefish around 4. The orientation meeting doesn't start until 5:30, so we hit Dairy Queen for some cold ice cream. might as well, we'll work that fat right off tomorrow!

We pull into the parking lot and mosey up to the registration desk. We sign in and they give us safety triangles to wear at all times while riding. They ask us to put our names and where we're from on it as well. Hmm, what runs through my mind? Yep, it's for identification just in case we're found in a ditch or mauled by bear. Morbid, aren't I?

Anyway, we're at Whitefish High School for the night and we're told we can set up our tent wherever we like. Most of the tents are already pitched and they are all pretty darn close together. What's with that? There's this whole field and everyone is squished in together. Perhaps they feel safe in numbers. I don't know, but I want to sleep and if I keep hearing rustling of other people in tents I'm going to be up all night. J also doesn't want to be so close to so many, so we pitch ours out in the field.

It's time for the orientation meeting, which includes introducing the staff, talking about the terrain we will be covering, safety issues (ride single file at all times to help avoid being struck by a car), and a map meeting of the route we will be riding tomorrow. Turns out we hardly used our map because they have a person on staff who goes out with a broom and chalk paint and sprays directions onto the ground for us. How nice! J and I have spent endless hours staring at maps, wondering if we are on the right road. Should we have turned? Seems like all of the maps are slightly wrong, which could lead you on a crazy long ride that you weren't anticipating. I'm comforted by the directions. The deal is that these wonderful folks provide us with breakfast at 6 in the morning each day (6:30 for hot breakfast and coffee), then we start riding. About every 15 miles or so they provide a water stop with water, gatorade, fruit, granola bars, etc. So really, I just have to ride 15-mile increments and then refuel. There's also a lunch stop each day and dinner is around 6 each night. Sounds simple. There are vehicles along the route if you get injured or feel like you can't go any further they will "sag" you. There's about 38 of us in total, average age around 53. We are some of the youngest.

Dinner is then served. It's burgers and dogs with kraut, potato salad and chips. I look around at our peers. It's couples, groups of friends and a few singles. There's one lady who started the route in Canada, will be riding with us through this section, then will continue down the divide to the border of Mexico. There's a couple from New Zealand who are in their 70's. Most people don't seem to be in serious shape and there are a few who are rather overweight and seem like they may struggle. I guess we'll find out. J and I, shy that we are at first, talk to few people and concentrate on being ready.

After dinner we ride around Whitefish for a while. I'm more used to being there in winter, so it's nice to see it in bloom. I read for a while, write in my journal, then we sack down to get some good sleep in preparation for the short ride tomorrow- 44 miles on practically flat roads from Whitefish to Bigfork. We bring our bikes over and I wonder about safety. No one has any of them locked up. I hope we awake in the morning with all of them still there. We're jittery and it's hard to relax to get some rest. I bet I'll sleep better tomorrow.

1 comment:

bgirl said...

i'm so excited to go on this journey with you...can't wait for day 2.

btw..too funny about the tents at the high-school such a visual, with you and J out away from the group.

b